hobbit hole

At the Charlottesville City Market yesterday morning, I desperately wanted a cup of coffee. I bypassed the nearby coffeehouse thinking I should spend my money with one of the City Market’s weekend merchants. But all I found was “organic fair-trade” coffee. Nope. I’m not tithing to that religion. I like my coffee full of pesticides and produced with maximum exploitation.

Similarly, I like my housing to have maximum environmental impact, and yet, I sure do see the aesthetic appeal of this Welsh environmentalist’s “‘low-impact’ Woodland home,” taken from the pages of JRR Tolkein:

Welsh Hobbit Hole

See more. (Thanks, Carolyn.)

Advertisements

8 Responses to hobbit hole

1. iceberg says:

“organic free-trade”- did you mean “fair-trade”?

2. bkmarcus says:

Whoops! I’ve fixed the post, but I’ll leave these comments as historical evidence of my gaffe. Must not whitewash the record.

3. bkmarcus says:

Full disclosure: iceberg once caught me writing “imminent domain” when I meant eminent domain. Imminent domain is an apocalyptic concept, whereas I had meant to be referring to the illiberal legal one.

4. Michæl says:

So many sheds! I love the interior of this house. I wonder how far away from civilization it is, and how they get back there. I also wonder if the bugs keep out.

5. caj says:

“Alms! Alms for the organic and fairly traded! Alms!”

6. Mike says:

Actually those “hobbit holes” are probably way easier and cheaper to heat and cool and would be a good idea no matter what you think of the environment.

They have some thing around here called an “Earth Ship” that is similar, but on a much larger scale.

7. Jeremiah says:

Where is the bathroom in this house? I didn’t see one mentioned in the diagram. Maybe the people who own this home use an outhouse, but then what do they do for a shower? Anyway, the place is definitely aesthetically pleasing, but I don’t know if it has enough modern conveniences for my taste.

8. iceberg says:

Just think of me as an editors’ editor : )

Immanentize the eschaton!